Monday, June 11, 2012

Running uphill, then falling = June

It's less than 3 weeks until the end of the school year.  I see the light- and it's a little blinding.  So many people lately have insinuated how excited I must be for the summer, when in reality I'm just excited for June to be over.
Now, every June is the same for me.  There is never any slow roll to the school year.  April and May are lovely- the kids are well into a routine, you all know each other so well that merely a look from me can remind them of a rule or routine they missed, you really come together as a class and get some serious learning done.  I want to hold onto those times, and I miss them when they're gone.  June is not like that.  June calender goes up on my wall, peppered with special events written in, and learning is the last thing on any student's mind.  Behaviours come out that I haven't seen before and absenteeism is at it's best.
Of course, there are so many activities and special events in June that no teacher has any real time for serious study as it is.  Field trips, concerts, tournaments, movie days and "farewell" activities take up hours and hours and make it very hard for the students to concentrate on the days and times you still have for learning.  This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have oodles of material I still plan on teaching them.  I survive by weighing down April and May with much Math, ELA, and Science that the students can handle, and saving the lighter subjects and topics for the end of the year.  Still necessary to teach, but best for the June type of learning.

So right now I'm working on travelling uphill, against the wind, trying to teach, coach, and will my 31 students to behave as the class I know them to be. It comes down that I think students "wind up" to summer, where I as an adult "wind down".  It's hard. (Did I mention the reports I'm doing on the weekend/evenings at this point of the year as well?) 

June 29th at 3:31pm, it'll be over, and it's much like dropping off a cliff at the top of that uphill battle.  No slow coast down, no breath at the end.  It's EVERYTHING, then it's nothing.  They leave with a huge cheer down the hall, then there's silence. It takes about a week for me to calm my pulse down and relax.

No comments: