- Life not about a single moment, but about multiple snapshots. I want to remember not to judge a day on a moment, but as a whole. I can be having the toughest day at work, but then I come home to a thoughtful husband and adoring child, and all is right with the world. I want to remember that a day is not made by a single action or even a series of awful actions, but how you feel at the end of it. I have to stop dwelling on times that are rough and just flow easier.
- Erika calling me her "best best friend". I realize that moms are supposed to be moms, not friends, but right now this is rank #1 for her. She's identifying me as the most important person in her life, and I just love it. It's accompanied every day by multiple hugs, kisses and cuddles, and sometimes I'm not sure how I survived without this copious amount of affection. It's awesome.
- Don't laugh when your child is being obstinate. Now, at this stage it's damn cute and clever, but it will grow into a child that thinks defiance is OK, and even amusing. I want Erika to grow up with good boundaries and respect for others.
- I am not one of the younger teachers in my school. I know this realization is long coming, but for a while I worked in schools with aging teachers. Now, I am not the youngest by far. In my late 30s, I have colleagues I consider friends over a decade younger than me. That's OK. I am alright with being a teacher that has been there a while, and has the answers I need to have right now. While youth is nice, experience is good too.
- Play more. My house is not spotless. Dishes often linger in the sink and the bench by my front door is a catch-all during the week. Laundry is only allowed on weekends and my kitchen counters are cluttered. As my Dad puts it last time he came over- "your place is messy, but you make it work." In our house, there is always time for a tea-party (today Erika sprinkled sugar, marshmallows and LOVE into my tea...*sigh*...), a puzzle is fun, stickers are timeless, and building houses out of mega-blocks until they crumble is great. Playing is connecting, and it's my favorite.
Matching stickers!
She applied all of mine, walked away, and came back with the same ones on herself. Great memory. :)
Carving. She wouldn't touch the pumpkin innards, but loved wielding the spoon. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment