Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Manitoba Museum

This is one of my very favorite field trip spots ever. Ten plus years ago, when reintroduced to the "Museum of Man and Nature" as a possible field trip locale, I fell in love all over again.  I was reacquainted by a favorite prof at the U of M in my final year of Education.  Upon entering the museum, where I hadn't been for so many years, my senses were assaulted by familiar smells and sights, and the always teacher-popular curricular connection that validates the field trip.
Ever since then, whenever possible, I have taken my classes there.  When teaching grade 11, I took them for a focus study of the HBCo display (new at the time), grade 7s and 9s I took to rediscover the geography of Canada interactively, and now 6s I take to learn about Canada's role in WW2.  After the curricular focus, I indulge myself in a workshop that I enjoy (either CSI Science, Lapidary <soapstone carving>, Science experiment gallery, or a planetarium show). 
All classes I take also explore the museum.  Those many years ago, I created a scavenger hunt activity that my students use to this day to guide and focus them through their exploration.  They spend 1.5h plus weaving through the ever-renewing galleries that while changing, also have favorite elements.  I love those favorites.  I love the Bison diorama that the students meet at to start, the Aboriginal diorama featuring berry gathering and enormous moose, the urban gallery with the old-time movie theatre, and *of course* the Nonsuch.
Entering the Nonsuch Gallery brings a flood of sensory experiences.  The smell, sounds and sights of the Nonsuch are constant.  I take perspective photos every time I go, and still feel I haven't captured the feeling of this gallery adequately.
On the Nonsuch, looking up the main mast.

Front of the ship.

 Sails, rigging and masts.

Forgetting my camera at home, these were the best I could do with my phone without flash.  They do capture the mood of the room; dimly lit and very heavy-feeling.
I love it.  I'll go every year and keep on enjoying; The Manitoba Museum is worth the return visit and support.  

No comments: