Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So. Tired.

Wow, the 1st week back teaching kicks my butt.  I mean, physically I am just a basket case.  My feet hurt from standing/walking, my throat hurts from talking, and I am just exhausted from the exertion!  I go through this every year- it almost makes me want to just keep teaching through the summer so that I don't have to face this 2ish weeks of utter fatigue.  Almost.  ;)
There's the new factor of the healing foot this year too.  It makes it difficult to go somewhere in the school on a whim.  It means that I don't do things that aren't absolutely necessary.  I miss my friends terribly in the school, as I don't just go and have a quick chat whenever I feel like it. It's only been 2 days back, but I feel like my normal routine is disrupted. To add insult to injury,  my new room is way out of the way and in a hallway dominated by male teachers, so that it's so testosterone-heavy I find it hard to breathe sometimes.
I know it will look up.  I get that my foot will heal and I'll have the social interaction I crave, and that the fatigue will pass and me being out of "teaching shape" will get better with every day.  It's just difficult to get back into the swing of things.
I have had lots of visitors to my new locale in the school, though. Friends that know it's hard for me to travel to their rooms have popped by to say hello, and I got the best visit from some former students today that are in the next grade.  They were awesome. 
I do love teaching, and got into the teaching part very easily today.  Routines were easily laid out, and students responded positively to the structure after having a long summer break.  It's a good start with a full class of 29.  Let's see where this goes!! 

No comments: