Wednesday, September 28, 2011

End of September; 1 down, 9 to go. :)

Okay.  I'll probably tell myself this every year, but dreading something is definitely worse than just jumping in and doing it.  It's the end of September, and I'm in the middle of testing, as always.  It's going.  I'm getting there.  Next week I begin the math portion, then I have to do the reading assessments.  I'll get it done.  I have in the past, and this is no different. 

Tomorrow the powers that be at the school will add student #30 to my classroom.  One that speaks no English, just to add a whole new facet to my daily teaching.  I am by no means the biggest class in the school, nor is this the biggest class I have ever taught (34 while teaching Basic French- oh the stories I could tell you about that...), but any number past 26 or so is a challenge.  Seating plans are limited, you're not able to speak personally to every student every day, and the quieter/complacent students receive less than their fair share of attention, as needs tend to be greater with greater numbers. Eh, it is what it is.  *shrug* I teach, I try by best, I try not to worry overmuch about what I cannot control.  I advocate for my kids and get the help they need that I cannot always provide. 

This school year also marks Erika's 3rd year in daycare.  She is growing so fast.  She now talks about her friends at "school", being excited about certain activities that are coming up, and has a steel-trap memory.  I can mention something briefly before I drop her off in the morning, (such as getting groceries after school) and she will automatically recall it when I pick her up.  Such a smart cookie.  She's 90% potty trained now, with only help overnight, eats everything in sight, and is ready for the transition to toddler bed to twin. 

Enough bragging, right?  I'm just so amazed by the little girlie we have.  Ok, the reality is that mixed in to my perfect child is also times when she refuses to go to bed, I have bribe her with treats to get her shoes and coat on to leave, hates water in her eyes during bath time, and she won't let me put any pigtails in her hair. 

She's also very cheeky.
I'm so lucky.  :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love her! Those pics of Erika are ADORABLE! Glad that you're halfway through - there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there! :)