Then I try it.
Today I ventured VERY simply and made Rice Krispie squares for my class. I've made them before. I never said I was inept at baking, I mean, I can read and follow a recipe. (Simple ones, mind you.) I found the recipe (YES, you bakers out there, I followed a recipe for Rice Krispie squares), gathered the ingredients, and followed instructions.
Locate pans. Melt margarine in large pot. Add marshmallows. Stir constantly. Remember to use the silicone spatula this time, as last time I made these I melted the other one along with the marshmallows, oops. Stir more. Think.. "Hmmm...maybe I should do a batch and a half, as the 1st pan is quite large." Add additional marshmallows, even though the 1st ones are almost melted already. Add additional margarine. Hope the 1st ones won't burn. Stir faster. 1st marshmallows turn slightly light tan in color. Panic a little, stir faster, hoping to melt the added marshmallows by sheer friction. Breathe a sigh of relief that the lumpy marshmallow/margarine mixture is soon unlumpy. Remove from heat. Add vanilla, faltering a bit as to the amount, as I modified recipe mid-application. Stir. Gracefully (ok, comically) pour melted marshmallows into waiting large stainless steel bowl of holiday Rice Krispies. Try and stir with spatula. Fail. Stickage everywhere. Put down spatula, Try and use metal spoon, then hands, no better. Because everyone says "clean as you go", margarine is back in fridge. With Rice Krispie/marshmallow all over hands, open fridge door, get margarine. Take off lid with elbow. With the only finger not covered (left pinkie), dip into margarine to get some to coat hands. Drop some on floor. Slip. With remaining margarine, coat hands. Better. Whilst combining, decide to sprinkle mini-marshmallows to give the "marshmallow-pocket" effect. Try to get some out of the bag, realise they're all stuck together. Wonder when you bought these. Pry apart, add anyways. Press entire mixture into pan, which by some miracle was sprayed with cooking spray earlier.
Repeat to make second pan. (No, it did not go any smoother.)
I am not missing anything. In addition to the bought ingredients (OK, quite inexpensive), there's also the mess to clean up:
In order to make two of these:
I usually buy the students candy... I'll probably go back to that next year. This baking thing is so not for me. I want the last hour and a half of my life back.
No comments:
Post a Comment