Many students (not only from my class) showed up in runners. RUNNERS? Really? Also, a lot claimed to have gloves, but they turned out to be the thin dollar-store variety, good for 2.3 seconds out in the cold air. I was shocked. These are not new immigrants. I am positive they have lived in Winnipeg for more than a year, and are aware of what below zero temperatures feel like. Honestly!
So, I, dressed in tank top/sweater/hoody/parka on top, long johns/jeans/snow pants on bottom along with Sorel boots, hat, mitts & scarf weathered the temperatures quite well. The silly pre-teens and teenagers did not. :)
Waiting for the sleigh ride, I was quite toasty. All about the layers, people.
I was on the 1st shift for 1/2 hour sleigh rides. I went with my group of grade 6s though the trees and it was lovely. Past rivers and forested areas, we saw a lot of wildlife with the sleigh bells announcing our arrival. Upon our getting back at the camp, I found that most of the students, who were there for "winter day camp" lounging inside. Huh. I shook my head in disbelief, and after checking inside to make sure there were supervisors, I headed out to the fire. I spent the next 2ish hours giving clinics on proper marshmallow roasting techniques to willing participants that heeded my advice and dressed for the weather.
Warming the only part of me feeling the cold: the bottoms of my feet. :) After repeated checking that my boots were not melting, I happily warmed them on the fire pit.
Other than the shifting smoke, it was very serene.
One of my students showing off his properly toasting marshmallow. (The one in the yellow jacket.) I was impressed with his patience in not just catching it on fire and creating a ball of charcoal. Pre-teens are not known for their wait time. :)
It was an exhausting, but very nice day. Many of the students chose to remain indoors all afternoon; but as long as I didn't have to control the ensuing chaos, I was okay with that.
Seriously, though, RUNNERS? *sigh*

No comments:
Post a Comment