Monday, April 4, 2011

I win, telemarketers, I WIN.

I'm okay with phone solicitors.  We all need to make a living, and I'm okay with listening to a company's offer, or taking a short survey if I have the time.  I know a lot of people that have or still do work for call centers, and they're working for a dollar like everyone else.  I'm happy I don't have to do that job; it must be very hard, so I don't want their job to be any more difficult than it already can be.  I think there's a list somewhere (or MANY lists) with my name on it as a potential ear, or perhaps a possible client.
Don't get me wrong.  I get tired from time to time of the polite yet pushy salespeople, don't always listen to their speech and sometimes beg off the survey (especially the political ones- I really dislike politics!).  More often than not, though, I listen.

I get A LOT of phone calls (by name) of offers to buy insurance, lengthy  political surveys, and other questionnaires.  Today, the phone call was a little different.  At about 5:15, Rick sees an "877" number on the phone, and automatically hands it over.  Not ever one to leave a phone ringing, I answer.  The man identifies himself by name and asks for me. (Surprise, surprise.) He then goes on to ask about my day (it was long), and asks how I'm enjoying the weather (blech).  After that, he jumps into his offer of a "cancer allocation".  Now, get this, if I ever would come down with cancer, (how appropriate, since this is Cancer Awareness Month) I would then be eligible to receive up to $151 000 to spend as I see fit.  :/ Now, I was fully willing to let him continue on in this ridiculous offer (practice makes perfect at your job) as I was just sitting and watching TV with Erika.  Erika was talking to me a bit now and then, and in the middle of his sales pitch for his "cancer allocation", he abruptly stops and asks me if this was a good time for me.  I told him it was okay, he could continue, but he then went on to suggest he call me back.  Confused, I ask him why.  He says "I hear a baby in the background; you must be busy...I will call you back at another time." He then quickly ends the call.

Huh.  First time I've ever been let go by a telemarketer.  I guess that means I win.  :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I like it!! I worked as a telemarketer once - for three hours. Never got paid and went home with a migraine. Never again. I respect them, but may still come by with a tape recorder to tape Erika that I can play in the background when I get a call. LOL

Donna said...

I was a telemarketer for a week for like my second job. I was so bad at it they made me stand to make my calls! I did end up making a friend from this guy I called and we exchanged numbers and talked for quite a while. Funny how I would NEVER do that now-husband or not! ...Donna ;)