I never claim to be an expert at anything. In fact, I very much enjoy playing the student at times, as I'm surrounded by them all day on weekdays. I like learning new things; and with my daughter it's a very steep learning curve- much as she has! :) The will of a 2 year old is extreme, as like the moods. Some tried and true methods have definitely gotten me through tough days. Here's 2 I like:
Warning. No, I'm not warning you...it's about giving notice. :) The arguments I have avoided with Erika by simply giving a simple countdown has been amazing. "Erika, we're going to bed soon" "Bedtime in a few minutes" "Bedtime right away"...etc. The more warning I give, the less arguments. I start about a half-hour/20 min before, and it's been successful 99% of the time. The meltdowns happen when I forget; like at the grocery store or on a walk. Oh, the tantrums; she's an expert at those.
The other is the old-time reverse phychology. Mornings are my enemy with time constraints and variety of moods. Reverse psychology (which I know will not work for very long) has been a life-saver many times. "No, Erika, you can't wear that shirt." "I don't want you to wear your rubber boots" I could go on. Now, I know this is almost letting her defy me in her mind, but has very much preserved my sanity some mornings.
Parenting is lots of ups and downs, but exciting and so very enjoyable. She's growing so fast, and her little mind always surprises me!!
Oh, and an update on the glowing tushie rash; the warm soapless baking soda bath/dry time/corn starch was a winner, and helped take the sting out of the rash quickly. Helped by the fact the intestinal disturbances went down significantly, she's almost back to normal already. Good stuff. Yay!!
No comments:
Post a Comment