This weekend we started potty training. The thought of it has been haunting me for quite a while, for I am a routine girl, and so is my daughter. Changing something (i.e.diapers) that was working well for us was hard. I know it was time, and with summer here I had flexibility too. So, we bit the bullet and jumped right in. Day 1 went well (You'll be glad to know that I have no pictures of this momentous step in Erika's life), with more successes than accidents. She really was getting the hang of it by the end of the day.
Enter the set-backs.
Late Saturday afternoon, I notice a small sore in the vicinity of her left armpit. I look at it and thought that her eczema has reappeared in the blistering heat & humidity. I apply correct cream for that assumption. By evening, she's crying and screaming that her arm hurts. I look and there's further irritation. Huh. I make a note to visit the Doctor 1st thing Monday. By 11:30 that night, she's upset, but falls asleep. (For the 1st time in our bed. That should have alerted me right away.) By 4am, she's up and inconsolable. I notice several more sores, all in her armpit and down her ribcage. 11 in all. :( Off to Children's Hospital we go.
It's impetigo. (Nasty skin infection which in severe cases causes multiple open raw weeping blisters. Caused by a staph infection. NO IDEA how she got it. Ick.) She's in tons of pain, and won't even wear a shirt for the next 3 days. I have to apply a stinging antibiotic ointment 4x a day, AND give an oral antibiotic 4x a day as well. Potty training goes out the window, back to diapers. Erika's so miserable she doesn't even question it.
(Again, no pictures of this impetigo episode either, glad to report- you're not missing out, believe me.)
After Sad Sunday, Misery Monday, Terrible Tuesday and Woeful Wednesday, we have a Trying-to-make-the-best-out-of-it Thursday. :) We resumed potty training on Wednesday, and I think she's got it now. At one point today, when I was pestering her about using the potty (she hadn't gone in 4.5 hours!!!!) she actually sort-of rolled her eyes at me and said "Alright, alright, Mama." and went. A lot. Just like that.
So, the crisis at the Vicklund household is mostly over. Sores are healing nicely, diapers are once again banished, and Erika visits daycare tomorrow so I can get the house back in order. Nice.
Poor little girl on "Terrible Tuesday", enjoying Grandma's raspberry jam.
Off to finish that before-mentioned cocktail and relax with my Ricky.
2 comments:
Poor Erika! I remember when Rhianna caught that - it was TERRIBLE! Ugh. Rhianna had it all of her face, too. :( So proud of how well your little princess is pottying! GO ERIKA!
Sounds like a terrible week! The perfect way to deal with that is a cocktail of your choice...and what a good choice! I'm VERY glad that Erika is on the mend and doing so fabulously at potty training! I knew she would! The weekend will be better! :)
Post a Comment