Monday, August 8, 2011

Long overdue review of our 1st family mini road trip

Well, we've actually been back for a while now.  We left on a Sunday to Grand Forks for some new experiences, and came back 2 nights later on a Tuesday.  It was 2 days full of new adventures!!
I'll start saying that I'd do it again.  It was a lot of money for just a couple days, but I think that I can be more economical next time, make other choices, and still have a good time. 
We stayed at the Country Inn Suites, primarily for 3 reasons; a) Deluxe Continental Breakfast included, b) Good kiddie pool, c) Room design that featured a door separating the bedroom from the other main part of the room, also having a bed.  This meant that Rick and I could enjoy a night after Erika was off to bed, and napping time was easier too.  :)
All that said, the hotel was great, and experiences with breakfast, the room, and the pool were awesome.  Erika loved swimming (and I had serious doubts) and slept very well once we figured out that removing the mattress and placing it on the floor was the answer.  I'd definitely stay there again.
All snuggled up for the night! 
(She "reads" every night before going to sleep- choosing 3-5 books to take with her.)

Shopping was not what I remembered from when we used to go down there as a family many years ago, but a lot has changed.  So many stores/merchandise is available here now, so we're really just looking for the sudden huge sales (like $1.29 for 200g of shredded cheese- OMG), or not-yet-in-Canada items (Velveeta Shells n' Cheese Skillet-Mmmmm).  I enjoyed the mall, Super Target and Gordman's.  I didn't buy as much as I thought I would, but we still managed to spend our money!! Our largest purchase was a portable DVD player, a saviour in the car.  Erika calls it her "little TV".  :) 
It was fun.  I forgot my camera at home, so pictures, other than in my mind, are at a minimum. (Thanks, Mother, for a couple of them!) The travelling parts were easier than I thought, especially with my mother joining us at the last minute and occupying Erika when needed.  Border crossing was easy- no hassles there.
Yeah, I'd do it again.  Tomorrow, in fact, if I could just reload my bank account!!

No comments: