Friday, August 19, 2011

Steep learning curve

I don't think any one's ready for change.  I think you can be prepared mentally for it, even talk yourself into it, but when you begin something new, there's always unforeseen adjustments.  When a change happens unexpectedly, you just have to roll with the punches and deal.
Well, I'm dealing.  Maybe I'm being melodramatic.  I mean, it's just a broken foot.  It's not cancer, or someone close to me passing away, or even a permanent condition.  It's just a lack of mobility for 4-6 weeks, and needing help when I didn't before.
Help.  It's hard.  It's hard to need help when you need to bathe, it's hard to need help when you need to prepare for your job, or care for your daughter.  Needing help really brings out friends, family and your support system.  I have an amazing support system. 
You don't really know about it until you need it.  Rick is been SO GREAT, I can't even list the amount of things he does for me around the house, not the least being how he doesn't let me wallow in my vat of self-pity.  I've wanted to.  I've tried to.  He let me, for a bit, then it was time to move on.  Accepting your situation and learning how to deal with it really makes the difference. 
My family and friends are so amazing.  It was really tough to ask for help, but when I did, so many people stepped up, it makes me emotional thinking about it.  I needed them, and they are there for me.  I love them for the caring they're showing me, and how they're giving unconditionally.  I can't even list the things people have done.
So, I'll be moving out of my old classroom into a new one next week Wednesday.  I had to put out the all-call for help in moving my copious teaching materials, and like I said above, there is no lack is assistance.  I am so grateful for all of it.  I'm glad to have a timeline for the classroom move, and will be even happier to get a timeline for my injury- I see the orthopedic surgeon next week Tuesday. 

So grateful for everything and everybody.  xoxoxox

No comments: