Saturday, October 15, 2011

Date night... you're going to get sooo hungry reading this...

Back pay arrived.  :) This called for a night of self-indulgence; a trip to the restaurant Sydney's at the Forks.  We've only been there once before, before Erika was around.  It's a one price (except for the extras, of course) 5 course gourmet meal. You get choices at each course; all amazingly unique and delicious.
Follow me as I walk you though our meal... Please pardon the few grainy, dark pictures; romantic lighting ambiance got in the way of taking photos! 

Before-dinner drinks: I had the most girly martini EVER.  It was delicious.  :)  Think: vanilla vodka, Malibu, and passion fruit liqueur, with pineapple and cranberry juices. Mmmmmm.  Rick had his Bombay martini.  Helllllooooo date night.

Bread: Three types of fresh-baked warm bread were served, including a slightly spicy, red pepper curry flatbread.  Instead of the traditional topper of butter or a variety of, they gave a duo of herbed garlic cream chees and curried hummus.  Mmmmm.  Being a carb lover, I could have made a meal out of the bread basket.

Course 1: Starter.  Rick and I chose the smoked local ham Benedict with tomato, spinach on flatbread.  I would never have thought to put tomato and spinach with egg Benedict, or vary from the traditional English muffin.  It all worked!  My egg was perfectly done for the dish, but a little soft for my taste.  All in all, a wonderful beginning.

Course 2: Appetizer.  Here, Rick and I differed. I chose the Gnocchi De Casentino, served with Brown Butter, Paprika Tomato Chutney & Pesto.  I've always had gnocchi with a cream sauce, and this one was delightful in a sauce that tasted like all the features were tossed together moments before serving.  It tasted fresh and light; nice contrast to the denser potato dumplings. Poor pic of my appetizer:

Rick went in a more different direction, choosing the Papads Aubergine in a Curry Sauce, Coconut Caviar & Fresh Coriander Paint.  I had no idea what this one, save for the words "aubergine" (eggplant) and curry.  I think Rick was attracted to the curry, though!! In simple terms, you had a crispy cone filled with an eggplant filling, on a coconut curry sauce.  He really enjoyed the sauce, (I mean REALLY) which made up for the filling being of eggplant, and not a texture her was fond of.  The crispy wrapper was also pleasing!


Course 3: Sorbet.  A pallate-cleansing sorbet is served prior to the main course.  Today's selection was a honeydew, cucumber and mint sorbet.  I wouldn't of thought honeydew to be such a pleasing flavour, but it so stood out as the main flavor.  So refreshing.

Course 4: Main course. Here Rick and I differed too- I chose the Halibut with a Garlic Confit, Soy & Micro Green Tartan.  It was perfectly cooked, flaky and light.  I found the fish slightly bland, and the rice it was served with unremarkable.  Being so full from the previous courses, however, I did not mind not finishing some on my plate.  I also chose a side order of garlic browned butter shrimp, and those were to die for.

Rick went, again, the more adventurous route and chose the daily selection of exotic game.  The selection today was Elk tenderloin with a merlot demi.  His tenderloin was seared then poached in a confit.  Now, I'm no expert in exotic game, but I sure know when a man is enjoying his food.  :)

Course 5: Dessert. Now, Rick not being a dessert person, I got to have the say in the 2 desserts that I wished off the menu.  The other time I was at Sydney's, I chose their signature Classic Crème Brûlée, and it was SO GOOD, but I tried a couple of the seasonal choices. We went with Fried Bread Pudding with Caramelized Bananas, Brown Butter Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce and the Pumpkin Chai Panna Cotta on a Gingerbread Crust.  The panna cotta is like a firmer mousse, and the gingerbread was a nice and crisp contrast.  I was in heaven.  The presentation was unreal, and the experience my taste buds had is a little too private to talk about.
This was the fried bread pudding- with the caramelized bananas and little ball of brown sugar ice cream.  The sweetness was not off the chart, and the caramelization of the bananas and the bread pudding was perfect. omg.

The oh-so-good pumpkin panna cotta on gingerbread. 

The night was perfect, with girly martinis and a lovely cappuccino finishing off the meal.  The career waiters at Sydney's make the experience so luxurious, and the dinner a real experience.  I've already told Rick we're going back for our 10th Anniversary in a year and a half. 
I'm not eating again.  Ever.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm......sounds divine! Glad you two had a great date night! You deserve it. :)