Monday, March 14, 2011

Like a pendulum.

Oh the swings, the SO MANY 2 YEAR OLD MOOD SWINGS.  I get it, I really do.  I get that no one understands her, I get that she has no (or very little) power over decisions in her life, I get that she doesn't get that can't have a popsicle for dinner.
It's just about survival sometimes.  It's about calmly eating (and REALLY enjoying) my dinner as she lays splayed like a puddle on the floor, about smiling calmly when, as I try to pick her up, she falls through my fingers like a piece of cooked spaghetti.  It's about watching with raised, amused eyebrow when, as I suggest a book to read or a game to play, she moans "No, no, no, no Mama!!!!".  As the guidance councillor at school teaches my kids, it's all about using my ignoring skill.  :) 
I took a deep breath and left to do a quick errand as she chased me to the door- irony hit me that she wanted NOTHING to do with me until I was on my way out.

I get back and it's if she morphed into a different little girl.  She was calling herself a "superstar" wearing her necklaces, sunglasses and bracelets; she was happily reading her books and playing her games.  She forgot totally that she wasn't watching HER shows (the reason her 1st mood swing happened; we *gasp* changed the channel).  She stopped whining about anything and everything.  She was loving and playful and awesome. 

Yup, I am sooooooo still learning.

My superstar, taken as we were changing into Pjamas.  Please note that the glasses are upside down... hillarious! 

2 comments:

calicogirl said...

Is it strange that she SO reminds me of you in that picture? Hehehe. Oh, two year olds. They can really be something, huh? And three year olds.. and four year olds...

You're doing a great job, Torrie! :)

Jill said...

Don't forget 7 year olds! Looks like you are all more than surviving!