Thursday, March 31, 2011

Next time, throw the breaker. Zzzzzzt.

I think we're done.  Wow, that was way more work than I thought it would be; thankfully I was ignorant of that.  If I knew what was involved in a few simple home improvements, I don't think I would have ventured in.  But, it's done, for the most part.  We still have to find a mirror we like and get a new switches, plate and plug set.  (Thought we had them, but didn't.)  I'm very happy with the colors we chose; Miller's Cove (sage green) for the first room, Mushroom (medium beige) for the second, white trim and fixtures throughout.  The trim work and cutting in was painful, the cleanup immense. 
There were a couple of hiccups on the road.  Rick thought it was a good idea to save time and not turn off the breaker whilst changing the wall light.  Huh.  He did get a little reminder from the electricity gods (not to worry, just a little jolt- he was standing on the toilet at the time and I caught him...) and flipped the breaker...quickly. Guess that's a lesson for next time. :)
Also, the toilet had to be dismantled to paint, and there was also some drama in putting it back together. For about 30 min Rick was convinced we needed a new one. Now, I'm not sure if it was the "how-to" video he watched, or the head-in-hands position I assumed, but he went back and solved the issue.  Oh, how happy I was to find out we did not have to replace.  I showed an appropriate amount of appreciation at that point.  <<**happy dance**>>
But, we're done for the most part.  Paint is put away, floors cleaned, tools stored.  Okay, ready for my spring break...errrr...tomorrow's Friday already?!??!

 New paint, still going to get new plates for the plug and switches.
 This is where the wall paper was, and the ugly wooden towel bar.
 New shower curtain, and the doorway turned into a archway.
 New light, "mushroom"walls.
  

3 comments:

barbara said...

Looks GREAT you guys!! Am really proud of your ambitions and perserverance! Nice colors!! Great accent fixtures!! All around a great job.. a pat on your back for giving up your spring break time.

Kinga said...

That looks lovely! I really love the colours you chose...very clean, contemporary look. And home improvements always take longer and cost more and are more difficult than you think they will. You guys did great, though!

Michelle said...

LOVE it! Very glad Rick's ok and it wasn't a worse shock. Can't wait to see it in person! :)